Originally Posted by Angus1895
My Buddy told me most moose harvested in the world is by the 6.5 x 55 due to Scandinavia hunting.

I know it's not important here but the 6.5 has a robust sectional density offering.

There was a rather compelling study in Sweden that was done where 8000 moose were taken with cartridges from 6.5 Swede to 338 win mag and cartridges in between! The study concluded that there was no noticable difference in how far each animal traveled before dying after it was shot with any of the cartridges that were used. The study was done because apparently there were rumours circulating Western Civilization that magnum cartridges killed game far quicker and in there tracks! The European study found these rumours to be untrue at least on moose. Big bears certainly might have a different outcome though I don't know if a study on that subject has ever been done or compared

My thoughts are that with modern bullet offerings this is more true today than it has ever been.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 07/02/20.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field