Probably should start a new thread, but I saw this one so I thought I would throw in my .02

I switched to Longshot last year after running out of SR4756 which is no longer produced. I started reloading for pheasant hunting about 12 years ago with some old components I bought from a friend who never used them. It included a 4 lb can of 4756 which I used to make 1 1/4 oz #5 shot loads in Fed plastic hulls. They worked well until I ran out and couldn't get more. Longshot looked comparable from the data I saw so I bought a jug and loaded up a dozen. Shot them at a patterning target and the load seemed Ok so I loaded up 10 boxes. About 1 in 5 or 6 are duds. The primer (Win 209) goes off, but the powder doesn't light so it just pushes the wad down to the choke and makes a mess. I know they are not missing powder because it will still be in the barrel and pushed into the mid section of the wad. Has anyone else had issues like this? I talked to Hodgdon, but they were not helpful. Just said that Longshot was a slow burning powder and maybe wasn't good for cold temperatures.

The load was from their web site: Hodgdon Longshot Win. 209 WAA12F114 34.4 Gr 9,200 PSI 1,440 FPS

I thought perhaps the crimps were not holding well enough so I tried re-crimping a few and putting a dab of hot melt in the center to hold them shut, but it didn't seem to improve anything. I have heard that Remington primers may be hotter so I might try some of them. Anyway, so far I am not impressed with Longshot.

Regarding plated shot; I have tried some in the past and while it may or may not pattern better, it seems to give better penetration because it slips through the feathers instead of pushing a ball of feathers into the bird. I think this results in a quicker kill on straight away shots.where you need more penetration to get to the vitals.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes