Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WTF and Jim,

Thanks for the info, which tends to confirm my theory about taste-buds.

That is sorta weird, but not the first time I've heard it.

I'm curious why that is, wonder if anyone knows. At least I've not heard an explanation.

DF
Found this in Britannica:
for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves."

Taste "buds" vary from person to person, the reason for my theory. Have eaten at a few meals where ALMOST everybody really liked antelope meat, but one could not hack it. Have never tried to analyze this chemically--though Dr, Valerius Geist, the well-known Canadian wildlife biologist, claims that rutting pronghorn bucks taste bad due to increased albumen in the meat, and in his book ANTELOPE COUNTRY lists several complex recipes involving red wine and other stuff to counteract this. But neither I not Eileen or most of the other experience pronghorn hunters I know have detected any significant taste-change in rutting pronghorn bucks, as long as the meat's cooled down quickly.

Thus I suspect Geist is one of those people who perhaps has an "albumen receptor" in their taste buds, as cilantro haters have an aldehyde receptor. But have no proof,, obviously because I have never had the opportunity (or knowledge) to perform such a test. But do know several people who absolutely cannot stand either cilantro or pronghorn meat.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 07/31/20.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck