I have little personal experience with using saws on animals as I am a solo back pack hunter so everything gets broken down with a small kestrel (A+!!!) knife and packed out deboned. The times I’ve hunted with others that prefer to drag out animals whole or literally cut into quarters I have seen generators with recip’s, large bow saws, hatchets or just a heavy bladed knife with a nearby stick used to hammer it through sternum and pelvis, used.

A couple years ago as I was leaving a quick morning hunt I ran into an older fellow that I’d met a couple times over the previous days prior, headed into an area near where I’d been glassing from a bluff. He’d shot a decent bodied muley off a ridge and was circling in below as far as he could get with his truck. It dropped in an extremely rough area! As he didn’t have a pack and was headed in on foot with a small fluorescent toboggan, I offered to help knowing he was in for a rough morning ahead. He pulled out a “Japanese pocket saw” (folding keyhole saw) his son had bought him wearing a 12tpi blade and sliced through pelvis and sternum like butter. I have to say I was impressed even if it isn’t my style. It was a slog of a pull out and for my help he gave me that saw though I tried to tell him I didn’t need it and would most likely never use it (holds true).

For those that like to do things that way I do recommend that little pocket saw and at 6” and 4.4oz it’s not much effort to carry. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/keyhole/63146-japanese-pocket-saws

Pitter Patter!