Thanks for the replies. More info.

Dale 06,This is the second time I have heard this kind of feedback about the recipes in the BPI manual. The recipe I tried certainly did not fit/fill the case with the components recommended.

Makintrax73. I did some more testing. As soon as I filled the empty space in the hull with fibre wads so there was no bb rattle with a tight crimp, velocity went up to 1240 fps from 900 FPS, with exactly the same amount of powder. The only diff was the hull was filled TIGHT.

Apparently Longshot must be tightly compressed to burn correctly. Meanwhile, this info could be academic. This little gun has a straight English grip. A 1 oz load @ 1240 fps in this particular 6 lb gun is brutal. Also, research shows Longshot has a reputation for increased recoil. Clearly this is the wrong powder for this application.

My next plan is to load up some paper hulls with good old black powder and 1 oz of shot to establish a baseline performance/pressure of the original ammo. The guns was proofed in 1897. Then I can work up a smokeless load which generates the same velocity. I believe powers more like Universal or Unique might prove more appropriate. We'll see.

Thanks for the feedback. will advise as testing make me smarter.