mate you will find its very similar to the Canucks, our culture and systems are heavily influenced by the old British system. Any real 'influence' though is purely ceremonial these days. The Brits and the royals have held no direct power in our countries since about WW1. The royals themselves have no actual power even in the UK, they are tourist attractions these days. Everyones country has been led( or misled) by its own two party political system the last 100 years.

Occasionally we have a 'referendum' vote to separate from the British system completely ( as in abolishing the queen from coins, getting a new national flag, coats of arms etc ) I think the last one was in 1999, but most Aussies vote to keep the old systems and flag, for the sense of history I guess.

Regards penal colony, yes though the vast bulk of settlers were free migrants by the late 1800's. The last transportees( convicts) from Britian I think came over in the 1860's. These days its considered quite stylish if you can claim descent from an original convict, being most Aussies come from later stock.

The largest political influence on Australia by far would be the US these days. We followed the Brits into all the big wars, then when the US gained ascendancy after WW2 we followed your lead internationally, includiing going into korea, vietnam, iraq 1/2, afghan etc. The realities of being a smaller country in the western empire.

Last edited by KarlSG; 10/18/20.