My Remington M141 35 has a peep sight. It is zeroed to hit the top of the bead at 100 yards and drops the bullet to the center of the bead at 200. My load is a 200 Gr Round Nose that chronographs at 2065 FPS. Last October I killed a Whitetail at 183 yards with a single shot by holding a "British Hold" and dimply covering it's chest with the bead and squeezing's one off. The hit was centered in the chest and the hunt was over.
The peep sits lower then a scope so the "climb angle to the 1st intersection is at only at 14 yards but I have not found it to be a problem. I align my sights center in the aperture carefully and place the 12:00 of the bead where I want the bullet to go out to about 140 yards. It's not precise, but it well within reason for killing deer. a bit high from 65 to about 125 but not enough to worry about missing even a small deer's chest. At about 155-160 it's dead on the 12:00 of the bead.

At about 175 I hold the same but place the 12:00 a few inches over the desired point of impact. At 180 to about 225 I "bury" the target under the bead. Past 250.... well I don't shoot with that rifle past 250.

So if I has a scope I think I would zero about 3.5" high and then shoot large paper targets at 25 yard increments out to about 250 and just see where the hits are. Lear the rifle and load and you'll do fine.