I am brand new to Ar-15's and have just a couple of questions for those with knowledge and opinions.
I obtained a china joe and the ho proof Rock River LAR-15 with heavy stainless barrel from an acquaintance of mine who lives on the west coast some weeks ago.
My uses will be for home protection from foreign and domestic sources.
The Rifle came with 2 metal 20 round magazines - my first question is which magazines (and which material) do you prefer? And which do you prefer 20 or 30 round sizes?
Next, I, like everyone else have been completely limited in options for ammunition - last week I luckily picked up 400 rounds ($104.00 per box of 200!) of the Winchester 62 grain "green tip" ammunition. This morning I was in the right place at the right time and got 800 rounds of this same ammunition at $114.00 per 200 round box.
My question here is should I seek out different ammunition for my non-Hunting use?
It has been VERY cold hereabouts (15 degrees BELOW zero this morning!) and I have not got to shoot any of this Winchester ammunition in my new to me Rifle.
And in the same vein is my Rock River factory stock barrel going to stabilize this ammunition in other words I do not know what the twist of my Rifle is.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy