Common place for them to crack, and on top, when people don't keep the through bolt snug as they age and the wood dries out. Not a lot of surface area on the head of the stock and glassbedding helps prevent it too.

You can find replacements on ebay from time to time. You can also get replacement stock sets or stocks from the current Ithaca Gun company including 16 ga.

Buttstock

Stock set with hardware

They are the "modern" steeper radius pistol grip. Which I don't mind so much. On my 12 ga. Ohio made gun replaced the wood with AAA wood for waterfowl. Grandpa and my father never used camo or black guns and killed lots of bird without it. I have too.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I have a bunch of 37's mainly in 16 ga. I like 26" IC for grouse. Either pre 1955 or even King Ferry UL English Deluxe, they both work well in killing grouse.

Grew up with a 28" Mod 37 in 16 ga. And for quite a few years shot all types of game with it pretty much everything under the sun. It is the most versatile IMO. If I had to have only one, ohhh I shudder just at the thought of that, never mind.

If you are not in a hurry take your time and should be able to find a good condition 37 for around that price for the same money. Although given the craziness in the world now who knows, maybe not.