Originally Posted by Windfall
Thank you for checking back in on my question. Probably a '64 then because the selector on mine is on the hammer. I traded a buddy a rusted single snowmobile trailer for it back in the '70's. It came with a #24 Williams receiver sight on it which about doubles the sighting radius and sits low enough to still use the factory front sight. Thinking that a .22 WMR/3" 20 gauge wouldn't be enough for a coyote, I thought that I might like a 24V in a Hornet or .223/12 gauge until I lifted one at a gun show. Some heavier than the rimfire 24's. Slugs and the .22 WMR rounds hit within a couple inches of one another at 50 yards, so I like that 24H-DL for a possible do all rambling around rifle. I do wonder why Savage quit making them?

I find the 24V's to be liveable weight wise but they are all in 20 gauge, the 24F's in 12 gauge make the weight unbearable to me. I have one of the very few 24V's in 12 gauge, a transition gun the year before the 24F's came out, crossbolt safety, scroll work identical to the 24F on the receiver and hardwood furniture. It is unfired and will remain so as it is to damn heavy to carry around.

If ammunition ever becomes available again, you might want to give Federals 50 grain jacketed hollow points a try in that 22 Mag, it hits pretty hard and stabilizes fine in the 1 in 14 twist 22 Mag barrel on the Savage 24.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people