Sir Ron, you're exactly right, that old hood indeed looks like case colors, i'll take it, can also see where the old scabbards polished the edges on that hood, never thought about hardcast in my rifle, a good hard gas checked bullet with the largest flat meplat that would reliable run in the action would be a heck of a load, would need to check twist and bullet lengths, if stable, a 280 grainer would be a toughy.

1Akshooter, Thank You for the kind words, as said and thought by me many times, i think the 348 Winchester with a good bullet would indeed be a fine big bear rifle, i had forgot how light, nimble and fast pointing the rifle is, dusk or dawn would call for a simple unscrew up the aperture and complete the hunts with the ghost ring, i like the old guns too Sir, something about blued steel and walnut that wont let me go, closing in hard on 60 years of age, i dont think it ever will, i plan to roll out many gut piles with this rifle, fun hunting it will certainly be.

tmitch, Thank You too sir, and i fully agree with leaving the old guns be, we can ask our friend BSA here who i got the rifle from, it had a hell of a hard working life, the scabbard [left] side of the rifle barrel and mag tube was ate up with pits from moisture, the side of the action had some pretty good scars from a horse wreck or possibly rock slide fall while hunting, that buttstock done the heavy lifting for a lot of years, it was getting weak and time to go, plus, my old 'Smith Buddy is getting old too, thought i'd better get it done while i could, my survivors can argue gun values if they care too, i wont be minding that a bit. smile

Trump Won!