When I picked up a Mirkou Mod. 71 Deluxe .348 from a friend I did so with the intention of turning it into a Ackley Improved version. I changed a few things, like chopped the barrel to 22 inches and had t he smith drill and tap it for the XS peep sight, which is small, sturdy, adjustable and unobtrusive. Got a bunch of 250 grain super bonded Kodiak bullets and H4350 and Federal 215 primers to stuff in Starline cases. The barrel is Dyna Bore coated and with the weight of the rife the recoil ain't bad.

Just when I get it all done I took another look at the .375 Alaskan and 270 grain bullets at 2,500 fps mv and 250's at 2,600 fps mv and thought dang, why did I not go that route. I only hunt Alaska and either one makes a good moose and big bear round and Irarely shoot past 150 yards. It never ends does it and I should be content with the beauty I have.

I am a fan of peep sights, but I will have to see how my old eyes do with them this fall in low light compared to other barrel mounted open sights. I am thinking a barrel mounted "ladder" sight is another option. Besides, they look cool.