Originally Posted by M1Garand
My BLR shoots the 200s (and Sierra 225) very well with IMR 4064. Ramshot's TAC and Xterminator have worked well for me too. I have some 250 Hornady RN's but haven't shot any of them yet.

To me, 250's are best left for the Whelen and larger capacity cases. They're pretty slow in the smaller .358 round.

I've found that X-Term loads can get to full power without compression needed with TAC. I know JB's excellent .358 Win article used mainly TAC with magnum primers. I'm using mag primers with all my .358 loads. I have a lot of them, am running low on std LR primers, so using what I have. And ball powders, reportedly, do very well with mag primers.

I've also used RL-7 with lighter bullets. I've loaded the 150 gr. and 160 gr. CEB Raptors, have 178 gr. Hammers to try. Check those out on line. My gun likes the 170 Gold dot and 180 XTP revolver bullets, shooting both MOA or better. Nathan Forest in NZ says the 170 Gold Dot holds up great at .358 Win velocities, the180 XTP not so much. He says use those in reduced loads.

My .358 Win is a JES bored pre-64 M-70 Fwt. .243. It was a bit rough, fouled pretty bad initially until I shot it some, did the DBC treatment. It's settling in pretty well.

I have three different scopes set up for the different classes of loads. All are in Warne Horizontal rings that can be swapped back and forth without losing zero. That beats having to sight in for different loads.

DF

Edited to add link to my .358 M-70 Fwt priject. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15226684/1

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 04/04/21.