Thought I'd pass along a letter from the seller of this rifle for your reading pleasure:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So a couple weeks back I purchased this rifle that once resembled a pristine Model 1920. But this firearm was fitted with a sanded, worn stock, and a broken wrist, a partial Lyman 54, a horrible trigger that still spits out a .250 bullet minute of varmint, threaded and capped muzzle, and lastly, metal mostly devoid of bluing. In a word: ROUGH.

And I wished it could talk! I did asked the seller for its history and this was the edited reply. Hope you find it interesting:

“So, the old beater Savage Model 1920 has some interesting history, as you suspected:

My friend worked at (a gun store) in Williams Lake BC approximately 10 years ago. A local rancher brought several old guns in to get cash for them at that time. The owner of the store was a Winchester collector, and the old Savage was considered worthless, so my friend brought it home, and eventually gave it to me. I gave him 50% of what you gave me for the rifle...

The Rancher’s family established several cattle ranches near Williams Lake. The ranches were/are located on the Fraser and Chilcotin Rivers (I’ve hunted some of them, beautiful huge trophy Mule Deer bucks come down in the fall during the rut, I’ve got 2 of them!). It’s spectacular country! The ranches all prospered and nowadays are owned by the XXX Cattle Company, a huge consortium of investors...

So beyond a doubt, the old Savage was a “ranch rifle” and was “rode hard and put up wet” many times. Probably rode in a saddle scabbard, and shot many coyotes, cougars and bears, considered vermin by the cowboys. Most likely brought home venison and occasional moose meat as well!

I hope this increases your enjoyment of the rifle.

Warm regards”

Eager to hear your response!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell