here's some of my thoughts on damascus. I think damascus can be a good choice for a EDC knife or a Hunterstyle knife if you choose the right one. My most used damascus billet is from Alabama Damascus. It's made from 5160, 15n20, Ni200 folded for 416 layers. This steel holds a great edge and I harden it to HRC-60. It's very affordable at $125 to $175 per billet. has a nice pattern but you don't feel bad about getting it bloody.

Next is Chad Nichols $315 per billet or Randy Hass damascus $400 per billet. usually these billets are 1080 & 15n20. These are but 2 examples of "custom" damascus billets. It's great quality and will harden to HRC-60 or 61 easily. This is top quality but costs 3x more per blade. I can use this steel for a custom but it will almost certainly add $300 or more to the price. You will probably feel proud as you skin your deer with it.

Now we get to Pakistani steel. As much as you want to wish it's made from a good combination of steels, it isn't. It may look cool on the outside and costs $35 per billet. They say it's 1095 but it more like 1060 with Russian truck bumpers, paint can lids, and tricycles thrown in. The real problem here is it won't harden much more than HRC-56. That is too soft for a knife. won't take a good edge let alone hold an edge. You will probably feel ashamed to skin your deer with it.

"The unknowing leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary"

www.dtknives.com