Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by saddlegun
By acceptance by practically everyone for over a century, .45 Long Colt is as correct a designation as .45 Colt.

Same as referring to a caliber when we refer to a cartridge or chambering. A 30-06 and a 300mag is the same caliber,but different cartridge. May be accepted but not correct and I doubt it is in acceptance with" practically everyone"

No, not at all. Everyone knows what ".45 Long Colt" means, and until recently nobody gave a fiddler's damn about calling it that.

As someone who has used the cartridge and reloaded it and called it ".45 Long Colt" (like many people) for about 50 years, I really have no idea why doing so has become a source of annoyance to some in the last decade or so.

But this same topic has popped up in forums again and again and again for some reason.

When you say ".45 Long Colt" it is if anything MORE specific than ".45 Colt".

Nobody will be confused in the slightest by it.

However, for some less-experienced people, ".45 Colt" could mean ".45 ACP" to them, without the context of the firearm being mentioned to understand which cartridge that you are actually referring to.

And, the acceptance of ".45 Long Colt" as a name, I am sure, arose out of the existence of the shorter ".45 Schofield" being on the shelves way back when.

Both cartridges were intended for used in the venerable Colt SAA in Cavalry service, and the Schofield cartridge was issued because of the S&W Schofield revolver also in use, because the .45 Colt cartridge was too long for it's cylinder.

Go into a general store or hardware store back in the day and ask for a box of .45's or .45 Colts, and you might be handed a box of .45 Schofield.

(Particularly if the clerk or proprietor had several boxes gathering dust on the shelves.) grin

But why worry about it?

Last edited by saddlegun; 05/12/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT