Originally Posted by flintlocke
- - - In older injection systems, after days of idling you would get carbon buildup at the tips, destroying the spray pattern so the fuel would dribble from the tip instead of atomize causing incomplete combustion, - -

Given decent to very good engine performance otherwise, I am thinking/hoping the idle smoke issue is this.

Originally Posted by Showdog75
- - - You may get some extra life out of what you have but do plan and budget for injectors in your future. Don't buy a stock replacement when and/or if you do. Look into injectors from somebody like Lincoln Diesel. The lb7 is a great engine other than the injector issues.- - -

Understood - well aware of Duramax injector wear in those years. This truck rarely is used in town or short haul - mostly long runs at higher speeds. So, hope to diminish the idle smoke issue and nurse these injectors for extended time. If at the point where testing/performance call for replacement, probably will take my time and do it here. Thanks for the suggestion on Lincoln.

And, to all, thanks for the thoughts on the additives - keep that coming. I need to try something soon. I have used Seafoam quite a bit for gasoline applications and a day or two ago a friend reminded me that the product contains alcohol. Seems likely not the best for diesel engines.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron