Originally Posted by CCCC
I have been driving a diesel truck for over 20 years and have never used fuel additives, and have never seemed to need such. . Now, in a different diesel (Duramax) we have a situation where slight excess of fuel at idle is giving grey smoke and a rich odor. Strongest diagnosis from owners and diesel mechanics points to particulate buildup at injector seals and strongest recommendation is a good cleaning agent run in fuel. Maybe even an oil filter full at oil change time.

Some prominent opinions rank Lucas Fuel Treatment, Stanadyne Performance Formula One Shot and Archoil Fuel Treatment as top solutions.

Relative cost aside, do you have experience with such treatments and strong views on which would be best in this situation? Thanks for knowledgeable insights.

My brother is a good mechanic and has suggested that I run Stanadyne in each tank of diesel I run. The problem he is trying to avoid is the dry diesel fuel that is being created now. Engines are better protected with the lubricity added from the diesel fuel additives. I have been using Stanadyne for about 6 years now.