Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by RickBin
What year is the Cummins that has 350K on the clock, if you don’t mind my asking?

2001 Dodge 2500 4wd with HO 24 valve Cummins. Bought new - two drivers only - 85% to 90% me.

Reason I ask is because when the big 3 went to common rail fuel injection on the diesels, in the early 2000’s or so, I’m pretty sure GM and Dodge were using similar Bosch injectors and CP3 pump. Pressures were in the 23,000 units range, whereas prior engines were orders of magnitude lower pressure, like 10%, and were much, much easier on injectors — and also had much lower performance potential. Common rail made turbo diesels come alive.

Comparing pre-common-rail injector durability to early common-rail is apples to alligators. 350K on factory injectors sounds pre-common-rail.

My understanding is the high pressure common rail injectors were developed by Bosch using Euro diesel standards, and our US diesel was not as clean, and the injectors showed it, especially early on.

Another thing, our LB7s didn’t eat injectors any more than any other motors using the first gen Bosch fuel system of that era, BUT, our injectors are under the valve covers, making them significantly more trouble to get to. We’re talking hours.

And yes, injectors got better in later gens, and as older LB7s with some miles started showing injector issues, they were disfavored by some. But it was an injector issue, not a motor issue. GM also made injectors more accessible in later gens by not putting them under the valve covers anymore, so LB7s do suck hind teat in that regard.

But nowadays I don’t think you’ll be able to source first-gen, non-improved injectors, so if/when you do have to replace them, except for them being a PITA to reach, once done installing the newest tech Bosch, your injectors will be as solid as any.

At just over 100K miles, your motor is just breaking in!

You don’t know how fortunate you are not to have to deal with all that smog BS when dealing with injectors. Worst part of the job for me, by far.

Did I mention new hard fuel lines or bust?

smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine