Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The Injun Billy Dixon shot wasn't really even wounded. Dixon did hit him though. I think the bullet pretty much bounced off. The fight was pretty much over anyway as the Comanch and their allies had given up assaulting the 'walls. They quit the country after the shot though. Injun's pards hauled him off.

I wouldn't want to be whacked by one of those big bullets, even after flying thru the air for a mile or so.

I think it would make a dent. Wouldn't want to be the test victim.

I was with some guys year ago, shooting military '06 ammo at a gravel pit. After a while, a car drove up, a guy got out holding a .30 cal. FMJ bullet. He said it hit someone in their party. Our group had no idea they were there, couldn't see them. The bullet didn't break the skin. Pretty scary stuff. The bullet didn't look deformed at all, maybe a ricochet? Who knows. Bullets can do some crazy stuff.

I was shooting tracer .308 ammo off a bridge into a major canal at my farm. It was dark enough to see the tracers. It's amazing what those bullets can do. I saw a tracer hit the water, fly up in an arc out of the canal, land in a pasture where I had cattle. It was scary enough that I didn't shoot any more into the water. It was fun, however, shooting them straight up in the air. Pretty cool.

DF
I'm sure it could have killed him, had it hit him in the head or maybe the heart, even if it hadn't broken the skin. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a broken bone or two.