Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by Windfall
True that my 3K oil changing mentality is coming out of the "76 F-150 carburetor engine '70's when I did send in my 10,000 mile oil Amsoil in for an oil analysis and it came back as 10% fuel dilution, a totally depleted lubrication package with metal particles and with a note to get rid of it ASAP. Never again Amsoil and never again 10K oil changes.

You can't blame Amsoil for an incorrectly running engine. 1976 carbureted engine ... really?? Can you tell me that nothing has changed in the last 35 years!!

Okay, point taken, but back then Amsoil was a diester based oil (what ever that means) and I had their gear lube in the transfer case and differentials and it ate the seals and leaked in the driveway. That coupled with the cold weather automatic choke and carburetor engines of the day, the bad oil analysis I got and the scarcity of an Amsoil dealer... There were other better choices. I used Mobil One in my turbo Saab too and that oil didn't stand up to the heat in the turbo seals, so I don't use that anymore either. Zero issues with Castrol ever since in anything with more frequent changes, so I suppose after reading through this thread that I'm wasting money by changing more frequently, but those expensive early engine issues stay with a guy.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory