Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Riverc
I watched just too see him put his mask mandate in place,and changed the channel.Looks like i will have to put my medical mask exemption card back in my wallet.

One thing the doctor said that can't really be supported with data is that where mask mandates have been put into place, infection rates have dropped, so the mask mandates are working. To my knowledge there was never just a mask mandate. There were always other measures in place with the mask mandates. Further, I suspect when masks are being worn, people are much more aware of other transmission risks and are mitigating those either wittingly or unwittingly.

unwittingly? Like unconsciously? How?

Touching your fingers to your face/nose/mouth is a common way for disease to spread. The mask is both a physical barrier and a reminder. While I might normally walk right up to a bud and shake his hand (both behavioral risks,) my mask and his mask might serve as conscious or an unconscious reminder not to do that. When I worked in an office complex where masks were required, they were not required in my own office space. When I reentered my office space and peeled my mask off, that was my reminder to use hand sanitizer.