Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I don’t know how we got from Covid to hoop nets, but commercial fishing is something I know a little about. Back in the early 80’s I worked with a commercial fisherman and some of my own nets. Back then we were selling fish for 50 cents a pound, a 200 hp outboard was probably $4000 and gas was not much more than a dollar a gallon.

Today they are still paying 50 cents a pound, a 200 hp outboard motor is probably around $15,000, and gas is over $3.00 a gallon, not to mention the increased cost of nets and everything else. It takes a lot of nets and hard work to consistently catch 1000 pounds of fish a day. If you do that 300 days a year that is only $150,000 before a lot of expenses. There is just not money left in fishing hoop nets, at least around here. The catfish farms killed the industry. Farm fish are the same size and there is a consistent supply.

I still fish a net or two to catch a few fish.

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/ogsZOR5dUic?feature=share[/video]

Relevance:
Some say that a life of hunting and fishing protects one from covid.
Grins.
You might just be right on this. Through all the China flu BS we still don't know anyone who has died from the China flu. We know a couple of folks that have died with the China flu but pneumonia would have took them out anyway. Everyone should take the China flu BS seriously and stay on the water or in the woods.

Life is good live it while you can.