Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
It's not hard to generalize on one rifle for non-dangerous, thin skinned medium to large game. But the .308 (or .30-06) would be VERY low on my list of options. The .300 WSM or 7mmWSM would likely top my list. And not everything is thin skinned and non-dangerous. Similarly, the .223 would be low on my list of "do everything" varmint options. The 6mm AI might top my list in a single shot. For bolt actions the .243 AI or 6mm Creedmoor is hard to beat.

Stopping rifles are their own topic - trying to shoehorn a .308 into that role is retarded. And some of the best public land hunts I've ever had were predator called bear hunts and require a stopping rifle.

9mm handguns are fine for people, garbage for bears. There's a reason the .44 mag exists.

A magnum 12ga does most thing, but does everything but waterfowl badly. Something like a 12ga SBE plus a 20ga side by side for upland/mixed bag plus a 12ga clays gun is a more reasonable battery.

Really it comes down to whether you want guns that do things badly, or do them well. Me, I'll take guns that do things well. Lots of people have a fascination with guns that do little if anything well, which they're entitled to but it's ridiculous.

Twaddle

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough