I’m keeping my eye out for another shotgun…that I don’t need; probably a higher end 20 or 16 O/U. But my days of compulsive buying without considering it’s application are pretty much over. I just sort of contradicted myself as there is no hunting application for me presently that is unfilled. But I’d like another nice O/U anyway.

At 72, my perspective has changed due to some eye-opening experiences, those of emptying homes of parents and dispensing of everything inside. I’m talking the Depression Generation folks who kept everything that ever crossed over their hands. In one instance, particularly, it was a daunting task which I’m sure many others have experienced also.

I have no children that are interested or inclined toward guns, and part of that may be on me, but that’s beside the subject here.

My wife and I have agreed that other than furnishings, anything unused for a year gets the heave-ho, either giving it away or selling. The point being we wish to prevent our children being faced with the task we faced due to our parents’ not having a realistic view of the future. And that’s not at all a criticism of them. Times and circumstances have changed.

Anyway, items like a 458 Lott, a 416 REM, 375’s, 340’s, a myriad of shotguns, and other custom rifles have made their way through the house and out again both as I learned, and as I realized I wouldn’t really have any need for them if I ever did. I’m down to a safe of eight rifles and shotguns and a smattering of handguns. It feels about right for the age and mileage accrued.

However, there’s a Rizzini out there somewhere..