I started out with a .22 semi auto for varmints and rabbits, a 12 ga. 2-3/4" pump gun for anything with feathers, and a bolt action .308 for hoofed game. Added a .222 for coyotes and such. That would cover what I actually "need" to this day.
But then I wouldn't have a 16 ga double to hunt with behind my pointing dog, or the .25-06 that is perfect for pronghorns, or the muzzle loader for the early seasons, or the 16x16x7x57R Drilling with .22 WMR insert barrel that is so versatile and ready for anything, or the 12 ga. O/U target shotgun, or the magnum goose gun, or the .44 magnum short barrel lever action carbine that I keep in camp for bear repellent, or the German single shot kipplauf rifle that is so artistic and beautiful and accurate and ergonomic that it is just a joy to carry and to hunt with and to admire when I'm not hunting. And the .450-400 3" Nitro express double rifle that took a cape buffalo in the Caprivi, and needs to go with me on another adventure for something big and dangerous. At least while I still have it, the adventure is something I can plan or dream about. .... What was the question again?