Originally Posted by bwinters
You didn't ask but I'll pontificate away: what is the application?

I love merino and wear Icebreaker. In fact, I lived in a set of Icebreaker 260 all week while deer hunting in NW PA. BUT - I only wear merino next to skin when I'm not going to sweat. I sat most of the week in treestands with no more than a 1/2 mile walk to the stand. I walked in with base and mid layers and bundled up upon arrival. If any sort of output is required (r.e. hiking) and sweat will occur, I've gone to all synthetic next to skin. Synthetic dries way quicker when wet than merino. There is truth to cooking yourself dry with a good, thin synthetic next to skin and some form of midlayers that move moisture. The "warm when wet" deal with merino is BS IMHO.

As to merino, I've tried most because I find my skin is sensitive to some. The finer the yarn, the better for me. Icebreaker is what I settled on.

Good luck.

It's interesting, because my experience is exactly the opposite.

Every synthetic base layer I've had has left me cold and clamy after sweating. Merino, I never feel that way. I find that I run hot compared to others.

I like smartwool bases and have several heavier 200-280 mid layers that I like too.

I had a sitka bottoms and they were loose for size and didnt fit right. I have one kuiu midlayer and it is fine.