Hah! Rin, I’m right there with ya. I’ve been staring at an old Mauser I bought for a bigger bore project for a while. At first, I was thinking 9.3x62, then decided if I was going “big bore” I should get something that was actually considerably more than one of the 30-06 I have and go .400+.

That led me to the 416 Ruger. Bought some bullets and got a few cases and let the thought cool off for a bit.

Then I see 400 Whelen and Mainers .410 on the x62 case. Also wondering if there’d still be enough shoulder for a .416 bullet. Guessing it’d be marginal at best. Called around for a barrel and started making a list of cases, dies, etc.... well schit, barrels are long in lead time, same with the cylinder brass, dies ain’t on shelf and are quite expensive. Wednesday I started thinking about the Ruger again. Brass is half the price and available, bullets are available, as is factory ammo if I want to shoot and don’t have any loads ready to go.

While not wanting a hot rod, I am wanting 2200 with 400 grain bullets and the Ruger can do it at pressures that are less than the Whelen.

Sure, I’ll have to open the bolt face, but that’ll likely be less than money saved in brass and dies. Feed rail work as well, but the Whelen could very well need it to.

The .473 case that looks interesting to me for a .416 wildcat is the weatherby rpm. How much for custom dies and reamer?

All in all, I’m back on the 416 Ruger train. Lol. For now😂 I just need to order some schit and make it happen.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”