Originally Posted by JamesJr
I always plow my garden in the fall, as that let's it dry better in the spring and I can plant earlier. I rotate my garden spots every few years and when I go to the new spot, I'll use a set of bottom plows to break the ground. After that, I will chisel plow the ground. Chiseling helps break the hard pan some, and doesn't disturb the soil quite as much. If I can ever get to doing it, the ideal thing would be to plant a cover crop every year and turn that under. The problem doing that is that our springs are usually wet, and the soil needs to be dry to be plowed.

I work my gardens with a variety of implements. A 3 bottom plow, a 5 shank chisel plow, a 10 foot disc harrow, a 4 foot 3 point hitch tiller on a small tractor, and a rear tine garden tiller. Each has it's place.

JamesJr, you've got a lot more equipment than I do and it's too wet and hilly here to leave the ground plowed in the fall. Winter rains would wash your garden away. Until I got the sub soiler, I just disked it a few times, laid out the rows with my cub tractor and planted by hand. Use sweeps on the cub to keep the grass out of the middles.

I also move my garden spot from year to year. I plant on a pipeline and will vary which area I plant. Usually I plant a food plot for the deer and disk it under in the spring for the garden spot. I let the grass grow on the unplanted areas of the pipeline, but keep it bush hogged. About every 3 years, an area gets planted.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21