CGPAUL: You are almost certainly in the UP then, because it is difficult to be 90 miles from me and not be there. As far as the velocity goes, the mauser bores are a bit worn but also the lands on the mauser barrels are wider than the remington. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Today I went to the range for a more rigorus test of the load and the two rifles. The weather was overcast with temperatures in the mid 50s and twenty to thirty mile per hour winds straight from the target. I shot five groups of five shots each from the bench at 100yds. I would shoot one group with each rifle waiting to a count of 60 between shots then check the targets while the barrels cooled. The remington has a weaver k4 scope on it, and the mauser sights were described in my previous post. For targets I used lavender colored 3" sqaure postit notes on white paper. They contrast pretty well against the white paper, and against the black reticle. With the remington I aimed at the bottom left corner of a postit. With the mauser I put the top of the bead in the center bottom edge of the postit. The target was too small to see well with the metalic sights, and was much better suited to the scope. The groups from the remington averaged 1.9", and those from the Turkish mauser 2.4".

I found the variation of the point of impact of the groups shot from the mauser intersting. The remington ranged from 2-1/4" high to 3" high, and from 0-1/2" right to 0-1/2" left. The mauser ranged from 0-3/4" left to 0" left/right, and the elevation from 2" high to 5" high. Clearly the target provided better aiming regarding the windage than the elevation, because the metalic sights had a little less windage variation. A bigger target might have tightened up the variation in the elevation, but also this may show an elevation problem using a bead type front sight. I say may because I recently completed some tests with a Lee-Enfield with a blade front sight. The point of impact of these groups also showed more variation in elevation than windage, so there is likely a shooting technique problem.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.