Hello Fellows: I thought you old M70 men might get a kick out of this. I just returned from a Kodiak Island brown bear hunt. Like my other Alaskan hunts, I carried a pre-64. This time a .375. This rifle has a all original barrelled action in a different factory high comb stock with a Decelerator Pad on it. I was with my son who is a licensed guide. I was able to take a beautiful boar at right around only 50 yards. One shot using 270 gr. Barnes TSX with 70grs. of 4064. Leupold 1.5-5x. Vintage weaver mounts and strap rings. Quite old school that would make the modern fellers just shake their heads I'm sure. I'd post a picture if I knew how but have tried unsuccessfully in the past.

As you all know, these .375s are heavy. This set-up is right around 10# loaded. My son uses a custom post 64 CRF M70 .375 with a very light barrel, but it sure carries nicely. Thru-out the hunt, my son teased with me about my (fat) rifle: he calls it Betty Lou. Says Betty just eats junk food all the time and gets fat. But I like heavier rifles for steady holding. When I laid betty over the pack while the bear was moving closer and closer it was just rock steady.

So don't think for a moment those old 70s can't get it done: even the old .375s on Kodiak Island. Just like Pinnell and Talifson's old .375s.

The Lord has blessed me a bunch for having this opportunity with my Son.