Originally Posted by JeffA
PROS:

I dunno if there is a specific 'railroad' container but with standard shipping containers there is no way to escape from one if locked inside.
There is a good bit of breathable air in one so a person has plenty of time to think about why they have been locked inside.

If left out in the direct summer sun they get hot inside quickly.
The heat can become so extreme it could shorten the life expectancy of the one locked inside.

Calculations for a 40ft container are as follows.

The limiting factor in the container would be CO2, or water. Not oxygen, and likely not food.

As the CO2 concentration reaches 8%, the person will die.
Despite around 13% oxygen left.

Avg person breathes 10 liters (0.353 cuft) of air per minute and exhales 4% CO2 (0.0141 cuft/min).

This gives,

Air volume : 2720 cuft

Lethal CO2 volume: 217.6 cuft

Time to reach limit CO2 concentration 15400 minutes or ~10 days.

To generalise, every cubic foot gives approx 5.5 minutes of time per person. You may get unconscious sooner though.

Also, in 10 days, CO2 may be limiting only if you are in a cool, humid container. Else you’d die of dehydration much sooner.

Direct burial of a shipping container could possibly create these cool, humid conditions for prolonged life and dampen any unwanted noise transfer from inside to the exterior of the container.

CONS:

Nothing really..

I keep my SXS parked in the yard and use it daily.
It's no worse for wear..

If you're SXS is some sorta show piece that must be kept inside you might need a second shipping container.

lololololol