Not an auction, so fair game to discuss.

A 99G in 300 Savage from October, 1922 (accepted and shipped) that was "resold" in Feb. 1924 to the Winship Company. I'd think it's possible that it was just shipped to Winship rather than sold to Winship, but... impossible to know. If it's a normal entry, I'd personally say it was reshipped to Winship rather than resold..

I'm not sure we've ever seen a 99G that lettered as going to Winship.

AND.. it's an early case without the crossbar and W.W. Winship logo. It's 2 years prior to the W.W. Winship crossbar cases coming out.

So.. why did a 99G in 300 Savage go to Winship? I can think of 3 reasons...

1) Somebody sent in their 99G in 300 Savage to be converted to a cased set, and Savage handed it off to Winship to fit and return.
2) Savage sent an early cased set off to Winship as a sample in order for Winship to design their cross-bar cases.
3) Somebody important at Winship bought a combination kit, or was presented one by Savage.

Neither #1 or #2 is a perfect match in my mind.
#1 requires that Winship was the company making the early cases. And while I've always thought that was likely, there's never been any proof. I'm also not sure why Savage would have had to give the gun to Winship to have it fitted to a case?? I'd really expect to see a work order number rather than Winship's name.
#2 seems unlikely in that it's about 2 years before the Winship cross-bar cases (Styles 3 & 4 of the Combination Kit) show up.

#3 almost seems most likely... thoughts?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...300-savage-410.cfm?gun_id=101963025#lg-1

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Last edited by Calhoun; 06/06/22.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com