I know next to nothing about muzzleloaders beyond the fact that A) you load them through the muzzle, and B) the technology was mostly abandoned over a century ago because metallic cartridges are objectively better in every meaningful way. And I'm not 100% sure about A).

But Montana has a new December traditional muzzleloader season, and western Montana in December, after the rifle season ends and before the snow and ice activities are in full swing, can be a touch on the bleak side. It's a short season at just over a week, but no additional tags are needed so the barrier to participation is fairly low. I'd just need a muzzleloader.

From Montana FWP, these are the sideboards for the weapons allowed during this season:

Muzzleloader hunters must use plain lead projectiles and a muzzleloading rifle that is charged with loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or an equivalent loose black powder substitute, and ignited by a flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock, or percussion mechanism using a percussion or musket cap.

The muzzleloading rifle must be a minimum of .45 caliber and may not have more than two barrels.
May not use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel, is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device.

Use of pre-prepared paper or metallic cartridges, sabots, gas checks, or other similar power and range-enhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifling or bore of the firearm is also prohibited.

What would folks recommend for a completely green, not-fully-committed newcomer to muzzleloader hunting? I don't want to spend a fortune. I don't intend to go full Davey Crockett, dress up in buckskins, and take up the rendezvous circuit. Assume there's a high likelihood of a quick resale.

Remember, I'm completely new to this, so use small words and don't assume any prior knowledge of ML lingo.

I appreciate the help.