Contrary to what some say or believe, IMO, there really isn’t some type of bad feelings between these two types of hunters.

While they are ideologically different in what they each want in an animal. A meat hunter would almost certainly dump a 190 buck or 360 bull in a heart beat, if given the chance. The ‘chance’ is where our Meat Hunter tires hitting the road are different than a Head Hunters tires.

As Meat Hunters, we usually don’t give ourselves much of a chance, we’ll typically shoot the first legal animal we see, to a degree.

Head Hunters, at least for the largest part of the season are holding out for a predetermined size they want to kill ~ Anything under that size, get’s a pass. All bets are off the last day or two of their hunt. Some might take something smaller, some might not.

What is different between these two types of hunters, that I have seen, is the amount of preparation, self education, and time in the field during the off season Head Hunters spend to identify, study, and follow animals they have targeted to hunt.

They are constantly looking, consumed by maps, overlays of food/water sources, terrain, elevation, and accessible public land…It’s like they have a terminal illness. I think a more accurate description is an addiction. An addiction in pursuit of something special, and the reward in the end for the effort put into hunting the animal.

I for one, admire them for it. Especially, the Head Hunter who’s doing it on public land. (I’m not slamming a hunter who owns bookoo acreage that holds and produces animals with massive head gear) I may hate your ass, but that’s coming from a case of deep jealousy. Many of you actually hunt hard for those bigger animals.

For the many, as Meat Hunters, we don’t spend as much time preparing a hunt as a Head Hunter does, and we shouldn’t feel lesser for taking a legal animal for it’s food over it’s rack size. I can’t believe the amount of excuses we’ll make (I already made one) for shooting a forked horn (Western Antler Math being used) or a spike bull. Like a fork or a spike doesn’t rate as a worthwhile critter.

Here’s my feelings on the matter, as a Meat Hunter. If you can consistently get yourself, family or friends on legal animals each year to shoot. You’re a Rock-Star!

I have no idea what the percentage is for successful hunters versus unsuccessful hunters. But, I imagine the higher percentage would be for hunters unsuccessfully filing a tag. If you’re making meat or hanging horns on a wall, consistently. You are way ahead in the game of hunting.

In closing, to me, Head Hunters, you are the A team in desire and effort. It’s exciting and enjoyable to read about your hunts, knowing the hard work that you put into getting it done.

Meat Hunters, that continue to fill freezers for yourselves and family, hold your heads high, and shoot them Forky’s and Spikes with extreme prejudice.

Elk season starts for me Nov. 12th. As of this moment, we have a date with a nice spike bull. But I’d rather shoot a 7x7.

Good hunting to all!

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”