Excellent real life record of a bear moving in on a hunter kill. Two items jumped out at me, highlighted in the selected quote below.

Originally Posted by las
I left out the bown bear on my caribou cow...

...It had eaten the liver, bit into the heart, ate some of the brisket meat, crapped all around the carcass, and was laying on the gut pile, which had rolled about 50 yards down the steep slope.

My take-away from that is that they would rather feast on internal organs than muscle meat at first, hence my desire to get meat as far away from the guts as is feasible if meat has to be left.

First, this critter seemed to think that putting his strong scent (crap) around his claim had some value, perhaps in deterring other meat eaters, though that is speculation. This grizzly agreed with our practice of putting our scent around our cache, (and with an animal left till we could come get it with horses, we would crap near it, daily if practical).

Second, from my experience I would agree that grizzlies, wolverines and black bears tend to eat internal organs first. So making internals easy to get while making the meat harder to get is a practical combination if leaving meat in the field.