I've owned a couple SP-101s and a S&W model 60. The first SP-101 was before they offered it in .357 so .38 +P. Think it had a 3" barrel. The other was a 2-1/4" .357. The model 60 has a 3" full lug barrel and adjustable sights. I like the SP-101s but the adjustable sights pushes the S&W over the top for me.

Minus Oregon's measure 114 tripping up my shopping plans, I was going to pick up a 4" barreled SP-101 with adjustable sights. I think those are sweet little guns. For "kit gun" use, IMHO it's about perfect. Enough barrel / sight radius for accuracy, light enough not to be intrusive, with a lot of ammo options from light target loads to borderline deer hunting loads. With the S&W model 60 in hand, much as I like the SP-101s, I really can't see another of the short barreled ones. That ground is covered.

The 3" model 60 is pretty respectably accurate. It'll keep the old Federal 125 grain HP factory ammo in a 2" group at 50 yards from a rest. It also hits hard. I was jumped by a cougar here in the yard last August and the cougar didn't survive. I didn't like the recoil with the factor rubber grip. In my hands, it is more pleasant to shoot with the laminated rosewood "boot" grip despite that being smaller and a harder material.

Last edited by T_O_M; 11/23/22.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...