Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Anybody use bore butter? My dad swore by it. I've read different opinions, just checking what yall use. Took mk85 to range today to set scope. Got it loaded, installed cap, pulled trigger, no dice. Nipple was plugged up. Could of sworn I'd cleaned it well. Took Hoppes and carb cleaner to get the crud out. Try again Wednesday

Bore Butter works very well if you use it very correctly. Anything mis-used tends to mis-function. I've been using bore butter since the mid 90s with no problems. You're supposed to snap some caps on the nipple before loading to be sure the nipple and "channel" are cleared. If you did that at all, your results prove you did it poorly. frown Since I don't like leaving potentially corrosive residue in the gun, I do something a little different. I clean with hot water and #13, then swab the inside .. and outside .. of the bore with bore butter while the barrel is still so hot the bore butter melts .. then after it cools, I wipe off the excess and swab out the excess with patches. I clean the nipple separately with boiling water and paper towels, etc to be sure it is clean, then use a little bore butter as anti-seize on the threads before reinstalling the nipple. When that is all done, my extra step is to "squirt" some CO2 via a silent ball discharger through the nipple to clear the channel. When it is time to load the gun to hunt, I run 1-2 more dry patches through the barrel just to clean up anything that I missed before and I repeat the CO2 treatment to clear the flash channel without getting residue from popped caps in there corroding things. May not be the very best but it is the very best I've found and it **works**. I can't think of the last time I had a first-try misfire with a clean gun. I'll get maybe 1-2 per 100 shots with a slightly dirty gun (I do a fast wet-swab + dry patch between shots) which I attribute to either not seating the cap firmly or some other moron stunt. The first one goes bang, always, always.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...