Farm work is interfering with my deer hunting this year because my hired man quit on me a couple of months ago. My time in the woods has been shortened considerably, but was able to fill my buck tag yesterday morning.

While spreading manure on a ridge I noticed a buck and doe at the edge of a field. I stopped the machinery and my Redfield 10x42 binos indicated the buck was a shooter. I kept the tractor engine and PTO on the spreader going and watched the deer enter a small grove of Sumac and grassy area that was top of a brushy draw that led into the woods. I called one of the hunters staying at the cabin and said I need three guys to push a couple of deer and to meet me at the farm.

We met up and devised a plan to roust the deer and send them my way. I was dropped off on a township road and I told them to give me an hour to work my way north through the woods and to get in place. Hour and 15 minutes later there was a crack of a rifle. I thought, damn someone shot the buck, then I saw movement in the area I hoped the deer would have showed.

The buck came pussy footing thru some Gooseberry bushes in a rocky sided funnel that leads to some real thick brush. The buck did not make it thru. Savage 99-A 250-3000 87 gr Speer HotCor. The deer was lower then me and I took the shot after he cleared some brush and quartered away from me. Bullet entered back by the near short rib, thru the lungs, broke the far scapula and stopped under the hide. 72 lasered yards.
The rifle crack mentioned earlier was a driver shot the doe that was with the buck.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime