Same species, different sizes. The burros usually apply to mexican/spanish donkeys. Usually less than 13 hds. Donkeys get up there to 16 hands if you are talking mammoth jack stock. Donkeys/burros take more patience in training. More so than a mule that takes more patience than a horse.

Their stubbornness is not really being stubborn. Just being smart as they have a high degree of self preservation. They balk at about anything until they know it won't hurt them.

They thrive on affection, but are hell on wheels if abused. Make darn good watch dogs. They are territorial and will kill small animals if they can catch them. They can live on about any type of forage. The herds of feral burros in the Southwest are known to survive winters by going back and eating their own droppings when grass is not available.They can't stand too much prosperity and will get overly fat if left on their own out on good pasture.

If you don't mind a little noise, they are fun to have around but do get noisey braying. Jacks even more so. Seems like jacks can smell a mare or jenny in heat 2 miles away. I had a neighbor here that had two minis. Cute, but noisey as all get out. Another neighbor across the valley spent over $15,000 in court fees suing her. She probably spent the same defending them. End results, she got to keep them until they died.City folks moving out here cause all kinds of trouble.

Those little mexican burros are darn stout, and make good mules. Usually identifiable by the dark colored cross on their withers and stripe down their back.

I have 13 &1/2hand saddle mule out of one that has no quit in him and had a mini team about 40 inches tall that packed and I used to pull wagons and sleighs with them.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/29/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles