I have 5 kids and we make a decent living. My kids have come to expect a bit much in terms of tangibles from Santa.

This year we all drew names and that person was the only person you were getting a gift for. The average $ spent was about 25bux each.

We actually had a better time than any other year. There was no complaining and lots of laughter.

One of my kids (13) needed money to buy her brother something. She didn't want to babysit the youngest (7) for a couple of hours....so my wife called the neighbor kid and gave the neighbor the 10bux she asked for plus a $50 tip.....my kids jaw hit the floor. She ended up hustling about 12 bux in the hood shoveling snow and made the rest of the gifts by hand.....fantastic life lesson.

I drew my oldest daughter (16 in a week) and she just wanted money. I gave her a gift certificate for a weekend with me anywhere she wants to go....not a thing that she doesn't need....instead, something she does.

I'm liking this....and I saved a few grand to boot.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.