Al,

Excellent illustration of the effect of wind on bullets!

One thing I have noticed for many years is that many--if not most--rifles shooters apparently believe that heavier bullets are deflected less in wind than lighter bullets, regardless of other factors. I mentioned this in an article on .17-caliber rifle cartridges I recently submitted to the Gun Digest annual: Back when the .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire was first introduced, many local varmint-shooter "theorists" proclaimed that its little bullets would drift "too much" in the wind--certainly more than a .22 Rimfire Magnum's. Which was not true, because the .17's bullets not only started out faster but had higher ballistic coefficients--the two factors that affect wind-drift--than any .22 Magnum ammo.

Was also on a deer/pig hunt in Texas a few years ago with a bunch of other writers. The main purpose was to test a new bolt-action hunting rifle, and the firearms company had brought around a dozen, half chambered in .243 Winchester and the other half in .308 Winchester. We sighted 'em all in on a 100-yard range, which of course didn't have any wind-flags-- and also of course some bullets drifted a little in the mild but gusty breeze. One of us commented on this, and the head guide for the ranch (who was overseeing the sight-in) firmly proclaimed that while .243 bullets drifted in the wind, .308 bullets did not.

The factory loads used in the rifles were from the same manufacturer, the .243s with 100-grain spitzers and the .308s with 150-grain spitzers. The ballistic coefficients AND muzzle velocities were both very close, so drift would be almost identical. But this guy was absolutely certain the 150 .30s wouldn't drift at all, and the 100-grain .243s would....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck