Here's the true story about the large hairy mammal I encountered yesterday.

I was hunting deer in New York's opening day. On the way into the woods we cut the track of a bear, probably not a very big one. That was at about 6:15 AM, still dark.

I went to the stand location that was my first choice, and there was already a hunter there. I left to find another spot and was barely out of sight when he shot, just a minute or two before 7:00. (I later heard he shot a spike.)

At about 7:15, I spotted this big black animal approaching from my left, about 60 yards out. I faced it and it kept coming. At about 35-40 yards he saw me, started working his nose, and kept coming.

I thought, I might have time to grab my camera out of my pack. So I took off my backpack, pulled out my camera, and he kept coming. In front of me was the rotted top of a tree that had fallen. The monster came right over it, and I thought, Does he think I'm food?
[Linked Image]

I had time not only to get my camera out, but to snap about 20 photos. None are great because I didn't have time to make any camera settings, but most of them show him pretty well. Here's one where he fills the frame:
[Linked Image]

He wasn't the least bit afraid of me, nor (perhaps stupidly), was I afraid of him. While I was taking pictures I found myself about 4 feet from my gun (a muzzleloader) with the creature only 8 feet away.

I waved my arms and told him, Scram! Get out! That did nothing but startle him slightly, and he held his ground. I broke a stick off and threw it at him, missing. He just walked over and sniffed the stick. While he was sniffing it, I threw two more sticks at him. Both hit him but he didn't even flinch.

I seriously think I could have approached him and petted him. I finally convinced him to leave. As he did, I lip-squeaked and he turned his head back at me:

[Linked Image]

That's not the closest I've ever been to one of these. Once I had a 300-pounder 2 steps (no more than 6 feet) in front of me while calling a spring gobbler. Another time I had one that must have been over 500 pounds (he was as big as a couch) 12 feet in front of me -- also in spring gobbler season. But I've never had one hang around like this for several minutes.

The first thing I thought about throwing at him was a candy bar from my pack, but quickly decided that was a bad idea. He'd only want more. And when I ran out, he might not believe me.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt