Thought some might be interested in these pictures from yesterday's 3x600 CMP match which is a new addition this year to the CMP Western Games / High Power matches held at Ben Avery Range.

I had not fired a at the Western Games before but decided to sign up for the 600 yard prone match to see what they were all about. I also wanted to check out their Kongsberg electronic target system which utilizes an acoustical chamber to locate the shots. I went over Friday to pick up my score card and have my rifle inspected. Got the scorecard, but it turned out they only inspect the service rifles and AR Tactical class for trigger weight and function. While there, I went over to the pits to look at the targets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These Norwegian made targets use two membranes to create a sound chamber and determine the shot location acoustically. They were mounted on top of the pit wall instead of placed in the normal carriers.

The actual match was very well run and well attended. They originally planned on two relays but added a third which also appeared to be at capacity.

Conditions were breezy, but fun, especially after the high winds we shot in at the SWN match last month. We did have two 30 minute hold periods called due to concerns over lightning from a passing storm.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The scoring tablets were quite different than what I was used to and functioned well. They also scored in a "decimal" type format which indicated where in the given scoring ring your shot was in relative to center. Pretty cool!

[Linked Image]

Only a sample of one, but I plan on attending more of these CMP events when I can. Very well run.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...