Joe Martin's thread started me thinking about provenance on Savages. I know that there is a vast difference in the factory records as far as details of shipment, with probably the vast majority showing only a wholesale house, but once in a while there will be more information, sometimes much more. It would be interesting to hear some of the stories that the letters tell. I'll start:

I ran across a table of 99's at the Missouri State Trap Shoot a few years ago. Bass Pro had a booth there, for as far as I know the only time. I had been interested in Savages for quite a while, but knew very little about them. There was a somewhat fancy one, with checkered cheeks and deluxe wood that called to me. I called my wife to tell her she may be upset with me, as I had spent way over my limit for anything but a trap gun. When I got home, I found this band of enablers, and was able to send off to Mr. Callahan for a letter. This was the result.

Accepted to the warehouse June 16, 1915
Forwarded to the original consignee, July 21, 1915 J. Dep Lynch
No other information on consignee available
Consignee J. Dep. Lynch was at that time corporate secretary of Savage, and de facto Chief Operating Officer
Subsequently, there were four work orders between 1924 and 1936, with the first covering fitting of new sights. The barrel is of the later thread configuration, and was probably retrofitted on one of the later orders.
All four of the work orders refer to to return to Fred J. Rath, of Utica , NY
According to Utica records, Rath was a prominent business man and politician, serving as Mayor and councilman for Utica, as well as state assemblyman.

Those are the facts that have been uncovered. Speculation: Did Lynch order the rifle for Rath? They would have at least been acquaintances, if not friends. If Lynch had wanted, he could have had the very finest of 99's.
The rifle is obviously a cut above the standard initial 250/3000's, but not to the point that an affluent person would hesitate to hunt it. The upstate New York is prime deer country, and the rifle while well kept, did not spend its life in a safe.

What do you have for stories?