Been asked to post some back history on the 1899A i acquired. So here goes
I came across this rifle on accident almost 3 years ago. I was purchasing another engraved 99 from this gentlemen (99 DE in 243) and he said he had a couple others at his home. He said he would go get one i would like and showed me this!! Wow!!
He let me take a few pictures of it but i never thought in a million years i would be able to pry it from his hands. Fast forward a year and i stopped in to ask him again if he was willing to part with it. HE SAID YES!! I almost passed out and asked him a price but he said he will let me know soon, soooo i started selling and flipping some things because i am not a rich man by any means and had to start saving.
A few months went by and i was working down the road from his store and figured i would stop in and see what else he had on the racks. I wasnt going to ask him again about it but he just happened to be there so i figured now is my time to let him know where im at and see where he is at. He said he loved my passion for his old rifle and knows it will be well taken care of and gave me a price that is no where near what this gun is worth. I never hesitated and shook his hand!
The rifle is a special order 1899A take down that letters from the Cody museum as so. The letter states it was sent back to Savage for a work order in 1936 but doesnt say for what. When i picked the rifle up i spoke with the owner for a while about its history and without me saying anything he mentioned the previous owners name and said it was sent back to Savage to have the barrel shortened because it was too heavy to hunt with. It now has a 22” barrel instead of a 26”.
I am still in awe that this rifle is now in my collection.
Joe Bonifant is going to post some pics in the comments for me because my pics wont do the rifle justice. Have a good weekend everyone. 🍻