Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by yobuck
Well there is no doubt that 600 acres is a large parcel for an individual to own.
But in the overall sceme of things it is not in that area of Pa.
Not only that, but how many Elk and Deer will a parcel of that size support?
In the mid 70s, when the Pa Game Commission placed the man they credited with saving the Pa bear population, in the job of now saving the deer herd, his plan was to drastically reduce the herd size.
Especially in the area where they were trying to increase the size of the Elk herd.
There was much outcry over that, and they had a big meeting at a now defunct sportsmans club called Mountain Country sportsman near the Cameron/Potter county line on route 872.
It seemed as though the entire staff of the game commission was present and defending the proposal.
When pressed, they claimed that due to the present size of the trees and lack of browse, the area could only support 2 deer per square mile. At that time, the Elk herd wasent even part of the argument, just the deer herd.
But, is it logical that a say 300# elk would consume twice the amount a 125 pound deer would?
So now were going to put a high fence around 600 acres and expect a huntable size herd to survive there?
Does anybody here have any idea as to how many large food plots the game commission has created in the Elk region over the past dozen years or so?
That in addition to many miles of natural gas pipelines and large power lines thruout that area?
Not to mention all the yards they occupy, and where many end up being shot, during the (ahem) annual hunt.
And their claim at least is that the entire Elk herd is about 1000 animals in the whole region, which is huge.
So id say that somebody is paying to feed the animals in order for them to survive on 600 acres.
Especially in years with a poor mast crop like acorns.

A couple things.
It was much closer to 2000 when Dr Gary Alt was put in charge of PA deer.
As was said, elk and deer eat different stuff. Elk graze. You can feed a couple hundred herefords on 600 acres. I'm sure with "management " you could have quite a few elk on this piece. Certainly enough to keep a family entertained.

If I had the extra change, I'd buy it.
I wont argue over the exact date Ault was placed in charge of the deer other than to say it was much earlier than 2000. As for the Elk eating differant stuff, apparently you havent spent much time where they live in Pa. Because they sure will eat the leaves and branches off the bushes and small trees.
Used to be that people said that deer wouldnt eat grass also, but again thats just as wrong to think that. They all have certain things they prefer, but will also eat a wide variety of things when necessary. As for the 2 deer per square mile, thats not my research, that was the answer to a question by the game commission.
As for the Bears, Dr. Ault didnt save anything, the bears saved the bears, along with some help from nature, with a few back to back poor weather seasons where fewer of them were shot.
We did learn more about them, due to their research and checking dens while they were hibernating.