Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by battue
Why would any want to shoot a Turkey at 40 yards is getting to the real point. Most of mine have been killed flying after being put up by a Dog. So they were inside 40. And they died to 8's and 7.5 one ounce or less loads. Who would have thunk. The few I've called in were closer to 20-25 which means I don't have to be cute with going for head shots. A few crashed to IC and Mod which was more than adequate. Seems as if the new rage is how far one can brag they killed a Turkey. "Hey I polished the bore, found the best pattern, have a scope on my shotgun and whatever else. Now any Turkey smart enough to stay 40 yards distant is about to find out how dumb they really are. I paced it off....47 yards" Hell why even carry a call? Most times I could sneak up to 40 plus. And I wonder how many spring Birds are called in with that mentality.

And if they happen to be real close, I'll vote for a pattern that hits the Bird from top to bottom. Vitals, broken wings and legs. A jelly head is not any more impressive or dead.

Also a Turkey can take a hit and keep going. How many 40 yard Turkeys took a hit, still had their legs and ran away faster than the best could keep up? I'm not impressed.

However, back to polishing the bore. It is a waste of time in the realm of being a decent shotgun shooter. Or successful Turkey hunter. It's their time, waste it as they please. However, don't expect others who know better not to point it out. Pretty patterns never killed a single Bird.

Turkey hunters across the nation are in awe of your prowess. You really should write a book and make some videos so that your techniques can be shared with the rest of us amateurs (which I am definitely one of).

You are the only guy I've ever heard of that touts a full choke and #6 shot for doves and IC or Mod with 7.5s or 8s for turkeys, which I'm sure you will rationalize for us shortly. I guess you just "know better."

Reason being, I shoot most of them in the fall, while hunting Grouse. So they are targets of chance. If I was going out specifically for Turkeys, then it would most likybe 5 or 6’s. Using 8’s or 7.5’s is why I don’t shoot unless they are close. And really, I’m no great Turkey hunter, but have found if I decide to hunt them specifically, then it mostly becomes an issue if spending enough time looking. And come evening they most often give away where you should look the next day. Or a woods walk will most often show were they are hanging around.

Around here they are not that hard to find. Although their numbers for some reason have taken a hit.

Last edited by battue; 05/26/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler