I decided to throw together a family sized insulated ice fishing house this year. The plan was late so the objectives were as follows. Cost was a factor, time to build, weight and room to fish at least 5 comfortably.

I came up with a simple plan on a budget that took me just a little better than a weekend to build.

Floor plan called for 6 fishing doors in the floor that gave each person there own block of space that was 4' by 4' to sit in & fish 2 holes.

Here's what the floor layout looks like.

[Linked Image]

view from bottom side showing framework.

[Linked Image]

this floor was sheeted top & bottom with 1 �� high density foam board insulation in the middle.

The walls were framed of 2x2 lumber with the inside of the walls sheeted with 1/4" plywood. Walls were then attached to the outsides of the floor system so the entire floor size was maintained which is 8 ft wide by 16 ft in length.

Ceiling/roof is flat, full 8' walls with 2x4's as roof stringers spaced at 24" on center same as the wall studs.

The entire exterior of the house was then spray foam insulated with an expanding urethane foam. Pretty ugly on the outside but decent on the inside & pretty light weight in the end for it's size.

Here are a couple of pictures of the outside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

then the inside

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

still some work to do. I need to mount a heater inside, I also need to finish the walls in the inside by fastening 1x2 firring strips over every row of screws on the walls, I think this will make the inside look a little nicer & it will ad strength sandwiching the sheeting to the studs from the inside.

our plan is to pull it out on Lake of the Woods in northern MN on thursday this week.

Something clever here.