Looking for some info and real world experience please. I have a Ruger #1RSI in 7x57 (20" barrel). I was looking for a RSI in .243 for javelina. The wood on the 7x57 was too good to pass up so I bought it. Now I'm finding that the little 7mm is calling out to be used for much more. Especially for hunts where I get to creep through the pines - that means deer and elk too. But here in AZ, even a hunt in the pines can mean a 250-300 yard shot on occasion.

So...what would do it all - break an elk shoulder up close if need be, but still do what it needs to at 300 yards? And here's the kicker, what would do that all economically. Many say even the most expensive bullet in the world is the cheapest part of the hunt. I agree, but let's face it. These are some tough times. An extra $30 for bullets has to go a lot longer than it used to - for me anyway. I need the most bang for the buck (yeah...I suppose that pun was intentional).

So far I've settled on two choices - the 154gr Hornady Interlock, and the 160gr Speer Mag Tip. With 4350, IMR4831 and RL19, I can get close to 2500fps with the Hornady, and actually a little more with the Speer - about 2550fps. I can do much better with the Hornady and W760, but the only time I've blown a primer I was using W760. My theory is that my load was safe in January, but over the edge in the heat of July. Jutified or not, it left a bad taste for that powder.

What does the group think of those two? Or, I'm open for suggestions. Since 2550fps might be about it for me, I'm actually looking at the 175gr Speer Mag Tip as well. The books say I may be able to get close to 2550fps with that bullet, even in my 20" barrel. If that were the case, I'm guessing the trajectory between the heavier and lighter bullets would be negligible. Thanks.